1) "Can Women Lead the Social Enterprise Revolution?" [we say YES]
2) Shared Value in Harvard Business Review
3) "A Toxic Work World," by the smart and brave Anne-Marie Slaughter
4) Dan Pallotta on TED: The way we think about charity is dead wrong
5) David Brooks on TED: Living your eulogy, not your resume
6) The Managing Director of the IMF on the "3 L's of Female Empowerment"
7) More justification on Why Companies Should Hire for Purpose
WEEK 1 READINGS:
1. Here's the preliminary advisory the Charity Defense Council wrote in opposition to the allegations against Wounded Warrior Project.
To make things more interesting, this Nonprofit Quarterly article implies a donation from Wounded Warrior Project to the CDC...
2. The Etsy IPO Nell mentioned.
3. An overview of a bunch of different mission-first social enterprises, to give you an idea!
4. Two articles on "Office housework" as food for thought:
WEEK 2 READINGS:
1. To follow Gabriel's discussion of charter schools not being completely randomized, a study that created randomization with interesting results.
2. TED: the power of Vulnerability (AKA: ask for help!): https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability?language=en
4. Find out more about why our cookies at lunch from Greyston Bakery were baked by anyone who needed a job.
5. Harvard agrees with us: Projects are the new Interviews (Another reason to put your Business Model Canvas to use!) https://hbr.org/2012/05/projects-are-the-new-job-inter/
WEEK 3 READINGS:
1. On Crazy Startup job titles: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/25/fashion/your-job-title-is-what.html?
2. Back to LinkedIn: tips on that pesky summary portion! https://www.themuse.com/advice/4-key-elements-of-a-killer-linkedin-summary
3. And now that your LinkedIn looks SO awesome: http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2011/06/28/nine-ways-to-use-linkedin-to-advance-your-career/
AND 3 related items from Devex:
3. and a video! (This is awesome!)
WEEK 4 READINGS:
2. Networking tips for all! http://www.inc.com/christina-desmarais/7-networking-tips-for-introverts-extroverts-and-the-socially-awkward.html
3. Some advice on Actualizing and Imagining your next career: http://www.fastcompany.com/3058776/the-skeptics-guide-to-visualizing-career-success
4. UNIFORM's Kickstarter video: https://vimeo.com/130056110
- For those interested in Impact Investing, a Case Foundation study
- For those who had questions around legal statuses.
- The study Chid mentioned from MIT's poverty action lab on the impact of school uniforms: https://www.povertyactionlab.org/evaluation/impact-distributing-school-uniforms-childrens-education-kenya
- The movie Chid mentioned about Liberian women ending the war:
WEEK 5 READINGS:
1. Big picture life approach advice: Create SYSTEMS, not GOALS:
2. An interesting podcast to start listening to:
3. Another case for earned income models for nonprofits, and a different example of mission creep due to grants: https://nonprofitquarterly.org/2016/04/19/grant-writing-hooked-on-grants/
4. A tougher look at the Girl Scouts: