Lorainne Lopez started with Inspiring Capital less than a month ago, and has already made herself essential to our business, both for day-to-day operations and bigger picture business development and client service. Not only is her sunny disposition a point of light in the office, but diligent approach to work and passion for our field of work is a powerful combination. She is always looking for (and finding!) ways to advance our work, whether a smoother way to coordinate our hectic schedules, an easy-to-use social media guide for a client or our team, or an educational link for our Facebook page. Lorainne adds value every minute she's with us, and for that, we are grateful! In her own words: 1. Why did you choose a career in social good? While I was in the Philippines, poverty was ingrained in my daily routine -- from children begging outside my car on the way to school, to street vendors selling after-school snacks just outside the school gates. Every time, I was affected by their looks of despair, and from an early age I knew that I had to do something to help those in need.
2. What impact do you hope to have on the world? I hope my work in impact investing will contribute to alleviating global poverty. Fortunately, I am not alone in this mission. The new information age has definitely put a spotlight on this problem, and I truly believe that as a global community (working together in the private, development, and nonprofit sectors) we will be able to lift up the standards of living of those in the BOP (bottom of the pyramid)/ developing communities.
3. Why social enterprise? I believe in the proverb, "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime." Unlike charity and aid, social enterprise gives individuals the ability to take ownership of their own development, and at the same time, build up the capacities to become self-sustaining, productive members of society.
4. Why are you writing your thesis [M.S. in Global Affairs at NYU] on impact investing? When I first learned about impact investing last year, I knew I had to get involved in this industry! I am hoping that through this research, I will be able to find effective social metrics and guidelines (in the agricultural sector) that will encourage (institutional) investors to include more of these investments in their portfolio. I focused on this sector because most developing countries (and their citizens) rely primarily on agriculture for the economy (livelihood).
5. Why Inspiring Capital? Pardon the pun, but I am inspired by the incredible work and mission of IC: in helping donors maximize the social impact of their giving, and in helping social enterprises reach scale by developing hybrid revenue streams (and incorporating more earned income capital) to become self-sustaining. Also, the team is AMAZING. We share the same ideals in creating a social impact to make a better world. For once (in my life), I'm excited to get up in the morning and go to work!
6. What have you done that you're most proud of? I'm most proud of my work with clients…because I know my work is helping the growth and development of Inspiring Capital. I am excited to see where the team will be a few years from now!
7. Which nonprofit would be your dream client for Inspiring Capital to work with? Which donor? As the business grows, I am confident that we will be able to get my: Dream client: Share Our Strength (No Kid Hungry campaign) and Meals on Wheels Association of America Dream donor: Warren Buffett (give us the billions, not the Gates Foundation! lol.)
With Lorainne onboard, we are Buffett-worthy indeed. On that note, back to work!